Friday, January 24, 2014

Is Cancer Treatable by Foods?

     Imagine being able to cure cancer. That's the dream of many doctors, scientists, and little kids dreaming of their futures. But what if we're already able to pick away at what worsens a cancer? Through a diet of certain foods, you can.

     In a TED talk by William Li, he talks about how certain foods can starve tumors of a blood supply. A tumor with a bloody supply is very dangerous, and could help it grow and become even more dangerous to your health. But with a diet of certain foods, called anti-angiogenic foods, you can make blood vessels return to their normal flow and make the little vessels retract. This can even help someone lose weight, because it makes the blood vessels retract from places they aren't necessary, such as where tumors may lie, or where there is access body fat.

     My response to this was that it made me hopeful for a number of reasons. One, I can share this information with my family and help us al reduce our chances of getting cancer because a lot of my family members have suffered from a form of cancer, or are at risk of it. This means my family and I are at greater genetic risk of developing cancer. So this helped me relax a little bit, and made me more confident in being able to help prevent cancer of affecting me and my family. I think that when someone is faced with a diagnosis of cancer, doctors should talk about all the ways of treating it, including small things such as anti-angiogenic foods to help starve cancerous tumors. This isn't a very talked about treatment, and it needs to be noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment